Way back on episode 3, Mav, Katya and Abby discussed violence in video games and the conversation segued into talking about video games with sex in them. We promised to do a follow up episode exploring that. Well, Wayne is away doing cool kid stuff this week like going to bars and listening to concerts, with real life people, so the nerds got back together to finally record that sequel. They are joined by long time gamer Link Copp-Millward to discuss the evolution of how sex is portrayed in video games in recent years, particularly in the Witcher series and to generally educate Mav who’s video game knowledge stalls out pretty hard after Pong. Join us for a discussion of succubi and dream daddies and the problematic (and sometimes innovative) ways in which sex and gender are portrayed in gaming.
Citations and Links:
- This episode’s Call for Comments
- PBS Game/Show’s episode “Why Can’t You Have Sex With Everyone in Witcher 3?”
- We referenced many video games storylines, including:
- this weeks bumpers use clips from Witcher III and Dragon’s Lair 3D.
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Katya on Instagram: @justthatnerdkid
- Follow Link on Twitter: @linktm
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Follow Mav’s Personal Blog: http://chrismaverick.com