Do you remember all of those great Batman supporting characters of color. You know… Batman’s black, latinx, asian and other ethnic sidekicks and villains like… errr… uh… you know… yeah… ummm…. It’s actually hard to come up with some, isn’t it? Well, there’s probably a reason for that. There are actually several, and have been since almost the beginning of his adventures run comics, film and television. They just don’t spring to mind right away, because many of them are… as problematic as you might expect them to be. Mav attended a conference at Bowling Green University to join a roundtable to discuss this very topic. He is joined by friend of the show, Danny Anderson of The Sectarian Review, and new guest Coyle Neal, host of The City of Man, to discuss Batman’s long, complicated and sometimes troubling history with race and diversity in front of a live audience. Check it out and let us know what you think.
Citations and Links:T
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Danny on Twitter: @DannyPAnderson
- Listen to Danny’s podcast, The Sectarian Review: https://www.sectarianreviewpodcast.com
- Listen to Coyle’s podcast, The City of Man: http://www.christianhumanist.org/?s=City+of+Man
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow Mav’s Personal Blog: http://chrismaverick.com
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Make sure you subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!