It’s no surprise that the US movie box office hit something of a slump last year. With few exceptions (ahem #Barbenheimer) most tried and true tentpole blockbusters underperformed (perhaps not as bad as most people claim, but that’s another issue). At the same time, in the last couple weeks we’ve had one of these weird random occasions where an artsy, complicated, low-budget Oscar contender has sort of hit the cultural zeitgeist… at least enough to get some trends going on social media. Saltburn a new film from writer/director Emerald Fennell came out of seemingly nowhere at the end of the year and has been slowly building some buzz this award season. And Monica loves it! But is it a good movie? Well, to find out she got Mav and Hannah and first time guest, UCLA film studies PhD student Eric Pitz to watch Saltburn so that we could break it down and analyze it.
Did you see Saltburn? What did you think? Or if you didn’t, are you more or less intrigued by it after hearing our discussion? Let us know in the comments.
Citations and Links:
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow Monica on Instagram: @monicamarvelous
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Make sure you subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!