Just to spur on additional conversation (and this is by no means the be all end all, which will sort of be the point of the episode): I figured it might be useful to post the book list for the current comics class I am teaching (Sex, Violence and Comics… a look at how comics are gendered through the use of depictions of sexuality and violence throughout their history).
it’d be great if other people who have taught comic classes did the same.
• Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud (http://amzn.to/2aIuKz3)
• Sin City: The Hard Goodbye by Frank Miller (http://amzn.to/2aDELxN)
• A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories by Will Eisner (http://amzn.to/2aSVOwi)
• Fun Home by the Alison Bechdel (https://amzn.to/2BOIRFL)
• Batman: The Killing Joke by Frank Miller and Brian Bolland (http://amzn.to/2aDE9Iq)
• Blue is the Warmest Color by Julie Maroh (http://amzn.to/2aPNmR4)
• Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (http://amzn.to/2aDE87e)
• I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly and J.K. Ken Niimura (http://amzn.to/2aIuf86)
• Bitch Planet, Volume 1: Extraordinary Machine by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine De Landro (http://amzn.to/2aJJZLa)
• Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell (http://amzn.to/2aDDWoC)