Pop culture fandom is defined by a hierarchy dedication. It’s easy to watch nine Star Wars movies; how much of the Expanded Universe do you know? Anyone can watch a couple dozen Marvel movies, but “the real fan” has bagged and boarded Silver Age originals! Sure, maybe you’ve sat through all 11.5 hours of LOTR, but what can you quote from the Silmarillion. No matter what your fandom there is likely some deep dive gatekeeping test of knowledge of extensive lore and devotion that you have either undergone. Perhaps you excelled. Perhaps you failed. Perhaps you rejected it. Perhaps you are now the gatekeeper that administers thesis tests to others. But… your fandom is weak! All fandoms are weak! Because your fandom clearly pales in comparison to the complex and intricate collectibles, nostalgia, lore, and even gatekeeping that is the world of American Girl.
On this week’s episode Hannah and Katya are joined by fashion historian Monica Geraffo as they reminisce on their childhoods and indoctrinate Mav into the secret World of American Girl as well as discuss the culture, complex history and deep fandom surrounding it… both good and bad. Join us for a fascinating look at the toys, books and culture and share your thoughts in the comments below.
Citations and Links:
- This episode’s Call for Comments
- American Girls Collection: Kaya
- American Girls Podcast
- “Time for an American Girl Doll with Down syndrome!” on Change.org
- “Amanda Gorman Recalls Mattel Seemingly Using Her Likeness In 2017 For American Girl Doll” by Jon Greig
- “Meet American Girl’s first Hawaiian doll, and the grandma who inspired her” by Terri Peters
- “Meet Gwen Thompson, the ‘Homeless’ American Girl” by Eric Noll
- “Flap Over “Homeless” American Girl Doll” by CBS News
- “Why Are Parents So Upset About American Girl Dolls’ New Underwear?” by Lindsay Kimble
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Monica on Instagram: @monicamarvelous
- Follow Monica’s website: https://www.monicamarvelous.com
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow Katya on Instagram: @justthatnerdkid
- Follow Wayne on Instagram: @tetroc2017
- Follow Mav’s Personal Blog: http://chrismaverick.com
- Follow Wayne’s Personal Blog: http://wayne-wise.com
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Instagram: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Please Subscribe to our new YouTube channel!
- Make sure you subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!