Every once in a great while an unprecedented unpredictable pop culture moment organically happens and takes the world by storm. This was the cast last week when, after an incredibly lack luster summer blockbuster season at the box office, two films Barbie and Oppenheimer dropped on the same day. We’ve known this was coming for a long time. We’ve talked about it on the show. We were looking forward to it even though the very idea of seeing them back to back seems ridiculous. But as it’s gotten closer and closer, the world at large seemed to embrace insanity of a #Barbenheimer double feature and an internet meme and global phenomenon was born. Of course we had to participate. So, on this week’s episode, Mav and Hannah are joined by their partners Stephanie Siler and Josh Stroud to review both films, talk about the experience of seeing them as a double feature, and dissect the cultural moment we live in that has inexplicably given birth to #Barbenheimer. Listen and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Citations and Links:
- “New Mexico Senator Calls Out Enduring Effects Of ‘Oppenheimer’ Nuke Test” by Sara Boboltz
- “The Navajo Suffered From Nuclear Testing. Oppenheimer Doesn’t Tell Our Story” by Buu V. Nygren
- “Cock Ring Ken is in the Barbie movie, so let’s talk about Cock Ring Ken” by Tasha Robinson
- “Why Barbie’s Best Friend Midge Was Once Removed From Shelves” by Anthony Robredo
- National Network of Abortion Funds
- Legal Services Corporation
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Make sure you subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!