If you’ve been following the show for the last several months, you know that in our COVID pandemic quarantine imposed death of media, we have turned our constant starvation for content to the internet and become big fans of Jelle’s Marble Runs, a YouTube channel featuring athletic competitions between… well, marbles. What started as a simple appreciation for a bit of viral internet content quickly became an obsession and we became obsessed. Well, JMR’s Marble League 2020 just wrapped up and so Hannah, Katya and Mav invite back fellow Mable League enthusiast and psychologist Stephanie Siler to discuss not only the season finale, but to analyze just what it is about Marble League that makes it a cultural phenomenon and how it manages to fulfill the human need for spectacle that traditional sports work towards. Give it a listen and let us know your thoughts in the comments.
Citations and Links:
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Check Out Stephanie’s Educational Resource Project at: http://isptutor.org
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow Katya on Instagram: @justthatnerdkid
- Follow Mav’s Personal Blog: http://chrismaverick.com
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Instagram: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Please Subscribe to our new YouTube channel!
- Make sure you subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!