Halloween season continues and so it’s time for another special episode. One of the most enduring pop culture figure is probably the witch. Witches appear through the ages in media. From the Weird Sisters of MacBeth to the good and bad witches of Oz to to Arthur Miller’s the Crucible, to Samantha of Bewitched to Wanda Maximoff of the MCU to Sabrina in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (and soon Riverdale, the best show on television), and countless others along the way, witches recur almost constantly. Witchcraft as a concept to be feared or a religion to be practiced has existed in nearly every culture for as long as history has been recorded. However, it has also existed in media with little to no relation to the witches of real life. Theater, novels, TV, film and video games are full of witches and… witch-adjacent characters. On this week’s show Hannah, Mav, Wayne, and Katya are joined by returning guests Michael Chemers and Natalie Sheppard-Baudean to talk about the history and cultural relevance of witches in popular media. Listen and let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Also… Mav put a LOT of work into the cover art collage here… probably the most since episode 122… so people should totally spend some time trying to figure out how many of the witches they can name in the comments.
Citations and Links:
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Find out everything about Natalie on her link tree
- Follow Michael on Twitter: @NotoriousPhd
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow Katya on Instagram: @justthatnerdkid
- Follow Wayne on Instagram: @tetroc2017
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Instagram: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Make sure you subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!