If you line in the United States and follow political news you might have noticed something crazy last week. The Democrats kind of… did something! In fact, they did something potentially huge. On Thursday, July 28th, essentially out of nowhere, senators Joe Manchin and Chuck Schumer announced that they had come to terms on what they claimed would be a very significant climate change act. No again, if you’re the kind of person who follows American politics closely… or for that matter, if you follow climate change actions… or if you just happen to actually know who Joe Manchin is… you have every reason to be skeptical. We certainly were. But should we be? On today’s episode Mav and special guest host Stephanie Siler welcome Ray Roberts, Pennsylvania state coordinator for Citizens Climate Lobby. Ray will help us work through the bill and talk about what it does and doesn’t do, the state of American climate change legislation overall, and make the case as to why we should be cautiously optimistic about this as well as discuss what some possible next steps are and how you can be involved. Listen and let us know what you think in the comments below.
Citations and Links:
- Summary of the Energy Security and Climate Change Investments in the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (pdf)
- H.R.5376 a.k.a the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act full text (pdf)
- Citizen’s Climate Lobby
- Citizen’s Climate Lobby’s contacting senate FAQ for H.R.5376 FAQ
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Instagram: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Make sure you subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!