You know what the best music is? The music we listen to. It’s obviously better than everything else and everyone agrees. And the stuff we don’t like is trash. We can all agree on that, right? The problem is… none of us agree on what music WE listen to. Why does that happen? Why is it that Taylor Swift fans and Tool fans go to war with each other over not recognizing the other artist’s greatness? Why do Post Malone and Ozzy Osborne do the same thing? Does it matter that 15 year olds listening to Taylor don’t know about cool Tool’s albums from before they were born? Or are all of the people complaining just old men yelling at trees… even the young ones? The answer is probably. But as always, it’s more complicated than that. Wayne, Hannah and Mav are joined by a returning Maximilian and Nicole Freim as well as new guest Maresa Whitehead to breakdown music, cultural relevance, monoculture, multicultural, expert blindspots and how it all fits together. And maybe even give you a musical recommendation or two that you might enjoy. Give it a listen and let us know what you think.
Citations and Links:
- This episode’s Call for Comments
- 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
- Play Bingo along with the host.
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Also check out Max’s YouTube channel
- Check out Maresa’s band, Illusion of Joy
- Follow Nicole Freim on Twitter: @NFreim
- PCA/ACA Conference information
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow Mav’s Personal Blog: http://chrismaverick.com
- Follow Wayne’s Personal Blog: http://wayne-wise.com
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Instagram: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Make sure you subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!