Every day another celebrity “is cancelled” for any number of problematic reasons. Typically, the celebrity responds by claiming they’ve done nothing wrong and blaming “cancel culture” gone wild. Over the last couple of weeks, we’ve seen not only politicians and actors supposedly cancelled as as well as children’s toys and books. Looking at the news, or worse, social media, it seems that it’s all anyone can talk about. Some say problematic people and things NEED “cancelling.” Others argue that no one ever really is. For many, there’s a sort of meta argument about whether or not “cancel culture” is even a thing. However you feel about it, one thing is for sure: “cancel culture” as a concept is one of the biggest aspects of popular culture today. We talk more about the concept than we do about the reasons we “cancel” things in the first place. We are a cancel culture culture.
On today’s show, Mav, Wayne, Katya and Hannah get together to discuss the concept of cancel culture as a cultural force. What does it even mean? What are the cultural ramifications both good and bad? What happens when we obsess over the metaconversation rather than the actual issues behind the conversation? Can we get rid of this or is it here to stay? ALSO… we talk about weird donuts with drugs in them. It’s totally a thing! Listen to the episode and let us know your thoughts in the comments.
Citations and Links:
- This episode’s Call for Comments
- “Weed, NyQuil, And Dongs: The Secret Ingredients Behind Voodoo Doughnut” by Mark Wilson
- “This Shop Sells The Most Bizarre Doughnuts You’ve Ever Seen” by Ariana Siegel
- “DRAG THEM: A brief etymology of so-called ‘cancel culture’” by Meredith D Clark
- Cancel Me Daddy podcast
- “‘Cancel Me, Daddy’ deflates the hysteria around cancel culture” by Joe Berkowitz
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow Katya on Instagram: @justthatnerdkid
- Follow Wayne on Instagram: @tetroc2017
- Follow Mav’s Personal Blog: http://chrismaverick.com
- Follow Wayne’s Personal Blog: http://wayne-wise.com
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Instagram: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Please Subscribe to our new YouTube channel!
- Make sure you subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!