It’s that time of year when everyone gets together and does the most Christmasy thing ever. They complain about stuff. Specifically, for the last few years we’ve had people complaining about the problematic nature of the song “Baby It’s Cold Outside”. The song has always been problematic on some level, and recently, especially in the wake of the #MeToo movement, the conversation around it has intensified, with some radio stations even banning it from their airwaves. But is that fair? Is the song really as “rapey” as some people claim it is? Some people claim that interpretation of it is wrong and that it’s actually a much more feminist song than people give it credit for. Is either side right, and does it matter? Is the fact that it offends some people enough reason to ban it anyway?
Hannah and Mav are joined by Jessie and PJ Sage of the Peepshow Podcast and a returning Natalie Sheppard to suss out the details and the cultural significance of “Baby It’s Cold Outside” and to work through some other possible candidates for problematic Christmas songs including, “Santa Baby”, “Let it Snow”, “I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” and “Do They Know It’s Christmas”.
Citations and Links:
- This episode’s Call for Comments
- Neptune’s Daughter‘s “Baby It’s Cold Outside” (two versions)
- Pearl Bailey and Hot Lips Page’s “Baby It’s Cold Outside”
- Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé’s “Baby It’s Cold Outside”
- Eartha Kitt’s “Santa Baby”
- Dean Martin’s “Let It Snow”
- The Jackson 5’s “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”
- The Ronnettes’ “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”
- Band Aid 1984 – “Do They Know It’s Christmas”
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Jessie and PJ on the Peepshow Podcast
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow Mav’s Personal Blog: http://chrismaverick.com
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Make sure you subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!