Way back on episode 170 we did a show talking about Serialization. As is often the case on our show… we resolved nothing. But we did note that there was so much to talk about that the conversation needed to be continued on a future show. Well this is that show. It’s time for Serialization II! The sequel! Will we resolve anything this time? Or is this a cheap ploy to continue the gimmick of serialized episodes towards yet another episode. You’ll have tune in and find out!
Last time we focused on the history of serialization, its usages in literature and the ways in which advancements in technology and the forces of capitalism made it a viable form of publishing. On this week’s show, Mav and Hannah are joined by returning guests Nicole Freim and Michael Hancock to talk how serialization affects popular culture. Why do we enjoy serialized media and what causes us to invest in it enough to follow a franchise for long periods of time in movies, books, comics, tv and video games? Can serialization have unintended negative effects on the audience beyond just taking their money? Listen and let us know your thoughts in the comments.
Citations and Links:
- This episode’s Call for Comments
- “Happily Ever After…And After: Serialization and the Popular Romance Novel” by An Goris
- Present at or Attend the Pop Culture Association(PCA) Conference
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Michael on Twitter: @PersonOfCon
- Follow Nicole on Twitter: @NFreim
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Instagram: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Make sure you subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!