One of the most important things about academia is being in conversation with other academics. That is to say that the way knowledge happens is one scholar says something and then another scholar builds on it and so on and so on. About a week ago, our friends over at the Protagonist Podcast did an episode of TV shows cancelled too soon. It was something a filler episode for them. It didn’t really fit their regular format, but it was a good discussion. During the course of that conversation they decided that an interesting related topic would be to discuss the concept of “filler episodes”. They then basically dared us to cover it. Well, as it turns out we needed a filler episode this week. So here we are. On this week’s show, we talk about filler episodes. For starters… what are they? Do they still happen or are they a thing of the past? Join Hannah, Katya and Mav as we discuss some of our all time favorite filler episodes of television as well as what makes the concept work and not work and how it relates to the study of literature and pop culture as a whole. Oh… and we also talk about San Diego Comic Con… because of course we do. Listen and let us know what you think.
Citations and Links:
- This episode’s Call for Comments
- “10 Best Bottle Episodes Ever, Ranked“
- “‘The Good Place’ Creator on the Latest Twist and “Hero” D’Arcy Carden” by Rick Porter
- Passions Episode 1013 Original
- National Network of Abortion Funds
- Thank you to Maximilian’s thoughtForm Music for our theme
- Follow Hannah on Twitter: @hannahleerogers
- Follow Mav on Twitter: @chrismaverick
- Follow Katya on Instagram: @justthatnerdkid
- Follow us on Twitter: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Instagram: @voxpopcast
- Follow us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/voxpopcast
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Make sure you subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever podcasts are found and please leave us a review!